Thursday, November 29, 2007

Our Governor General Lacks Moral Fibre: Part 3

I received a response to my letter. In light of the most recent development (http://www.nationalpost.com/news/story.html?id=130134) I felt the need to respond.

Below is the text of my most recent letter followed by the form letter I received.

Ms. Lappa,

Ok, now I am really angry. The buffoonery continues.

You told me (in your form letter attached) that I should be assured that this person and that committee, etc. were to hear my thoughts and further review this matter. I admit, I was dubious. I was disappointed that you could not indicate that the Governor General herself is hearing us. I found the communique to be rather dismissive.

My instinct served me well. Instead of doing what I was promised, the Governor General passed the buck to the Prime Minister's Office hoping that a 'Meritorious Service Decoration' might do the trick. Wrong again.

May I remind you that the Governor General is the Head of State of Canada. As my Queen's representative in Canada, her 'boss' is Queen Elizabeth II. There is no passing the buck here! By trying to pass the buck the Governor General has further tarnished her credibility and undermined her Office. I am sure that Queen Elizabeth II would have made the right choice in this matter THE FIRST TIME. That is what the Governor General is here for. This cowardly act raises the question as to whether or not the PMO should now bestow all honours that the Governor General does; thus making the Governor General's Office irrelevant. Surely, denying Constable Garrett's honour diminishes all honours that the Governor General may bestow.

Instead of doing the right thing the Governor General is trying the patented 'duck and cover'. Someone who focussed solely on saving face and is so devoid of core Canadian values does not deserve the privilege of public office, much less Head of State. It is clearly time for this Governor General to step aside and let someone else take her Office.

Let me be absolutely clear. Nothing less than the Cross of Valour bestowed appropriately by the Governor General is satisfactory. And of course, my preference would be that another Governor General bestow the honour.

Good Day,


This is the form letter I received.

"On behalf of Her Excellency the Right Honourable Michaƫlle Jean, Governor General of Canada, I thank you for your correspondence concerning the awarding of a Canadian Bravery Decoration, posthumously, to Constable Christopher Garrett.

The Chancellery of Honours of the Office of the Secretary to the Governor General and members of the Canadian Decorations Advisory Committee (Bravery) are aware of the strong interest Canadians have shown in the case of the late Constable Christopher Garrett and understand their desire to honour this fallen police officer.

Please be assured that your comments will be brought to the attention of the Honours Policy Committee, responsible for the regulations on Canadian Honours, as well as to the attention of the Canadian Decorations Advisory Committee, responsible for reviewing all eligible nominations. The Office of the Secretary to the Governor General is also examining, in consultation with the government, options for recognition of Constable Garrett's distinguished service to his community.

Yours sincerely,

Gabrielle D. Lappa
Director of Honours"

No comments: