Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Rebuttal to Andrew Telegdi, my MP.

Mr. Telegdi,

I received your ‘Fall 2006 Parliamentary Connections’ and feel I must respond.

You and I have been over the merits of the Long Gun Registry. To recap, I think it was a colossal waste of money meant to give an uninformed urban electorate the ‘warm-and-fuzzies’ with respect to safety. The vast amount of money spent on this ineffective programme could have been spent on other things to make us safer. More Police could have made the difference and kept Kimveer Gill from getting licensed, legal weapons in the first place.

The next thing you mention is the Kyoto Accord. This is something you and I have not discussed, and what I have to say on the matter may come as a shock. I have a degree in science, and open mind. In fact, I insist on having informed opinions. That puts me in a very small minority of people who have a chance of understanding the science on both sides of the Global Warming issue.

I can say, without a doubt that the concept of Global Warming is a fallacy. The Kyoto Accord would do nothing to fight what is most likely a natural phenomenon. There is no such thing as a normal climate. Climate has been changing since before man walked the Earth. And it will continue to change no matter what we do. I find the science supporting the notion wanting and I attribute its widespread acceptance to relentless propaganda and a public too lazy to educate themselves and too arrogant to admit they can’t understand the matter.

Please visit my blog to get more information on this issue. http://www.gargoylerants.blogspot.com/. I’ll be posting this rebuttal to my Blog too.

Also, if you have not already closed your mind on the matter of Global Warming, I’d invite you to check out http://www.friendsofscience.org/.

Daycare is also mentioned in your report. This is really the one that burns me Mr. Telegdi.

You mention that the Conservative Government scrapped ‘our provincial agreements for a national daycare program’ (I believe ‘program’ is the American spelling, by the way.)

Well, let me tell you how I see it.

In 1993 when the Liberals first promised a national daycare programme, my wife and I had no kids. In 1997, when our first child turned two we were promised it again. In 2000, our second child was two, and we were promised it yet again. And in 2004, when my third child turned three we were promised it for the fourth time. Of course you know as well as I that it was an empty promise each and every time.

Ironically, the programme that the Conservatives quickly brought in has provided some help. We have been receiving $100 a month to help subsidize Thomas’ half-day care at (his school's) Child Care Centre while he attends senior kindergarten. (Scott Reid’s comment implying that I am too dumb to spend the money on anything but beer and popcorn is a shining example of Liberal arrogance on this matter)

And, another important fact is that the ‘provincial agreements’ had no strings attached and no national standards were put in place. Under the agreements, the federal government would simply send money to the provinces and hope for the best. That was clearly insufficient, and abundantly irresponsible.

Next, you talk about our Government’s foreign policy.

Well, there are worse things than agreeing with Americans on some issues. In my book, lying and stealing and sloth are greater sins.

You decry Harper’s ‘unbalanced approach to the war in Lebanon’. I would call it a ‘principled approach’. One of the antagonists is a world-recognized terrorist organization ready to murder innocent civilians and hide amongst others. The other is a sovereign nation surrounded by intractable enemies while continually showing great restraint. It seems pretty clear to me what side a just and civilized nation must back.

Our mission in Afghanistan seems pretty clear to me. We must fight terrorism at its root. We have a choice. We can fight them there, or we can let them fester and fight them here. We are at the same time helping the Afghans to build their infrastructure. It is a Canadian tradition to fight against tyranny for justice and peace. Moreover, it is a Canadian tradition to do more than our share. I remind you, that your last Liberal Government sent them and that a large number of Liberal MPs supported the Government on the matter of extending the mission.

Sometimes peace needs to be made, before it can be kept.

I’ll tell you first that Remembrance Day is the most important (secular) day of the year. It has been for as long as I can remember. I respectfully disagree with you on the matter of the Flag on the Peace Tower. The tradition of not putting it at half-mast was put into place during the First World War, I believe. It was a wise policy because it removed any debate over what would constitute lowering it. If it should be lowered for one soldier, what should happen if four die? If it should be lowered for a soldier who falls in battle what about a soldier who does not? What about a soldier who was not in theatre? What about an on-duty Police officer? And then what if that Police officer was not on-duty? Then, what about Firefighters and Paramedics? On-duty or off? Where do you then draw the line? We don’t want to dishonour these other men and woman who put themselves in danger for us, do we? So then we will get to the point where the Flag is lowered more often than its not and the significance of the honour is diluted.

It was Mr. Chretien who lacked the wisdom to see this policy and, by setting a new precedent, ostensibly made the Conservatives look disrespectful.

No, lower the Flag on Remembrance Day and leave it at that. There is nothing at all preventing a citizen who has a flag from showing respect.

Moments of silence in the House of Commons, as you have pushed for is honourable and appropriate. I commend you on your push to have this practice adopted.

You mention the UN. Again, we clearly disagree. The UN does more harm than good. It holds the space of an International body for the purpose of fostering dialogue and peace, but lacks the will to use anything but strong language. It sat and wrung its hands and said ‘somebody should do something’ while campaigns of genocide went unchecked in Africa. And it told Saddam Hussain (four years ago today, as a matter of fact) that Iraq had better disarm or face ‘serious consequences’. Saddam knew the UN’s threat was empty.

The UN dithers, and people die.

The AIDS Conference

Mr. Harper, as a Conservative would not have been shown the respect due a head of state by the delegates of the AIDS conference. The Gay Rights faction of the AIDS conference was primed and ready to give Mr. Harper a welcome befitting their dissatisfaction with his policy on Gay Marriage, rather than on anything he had done or had not done with respect to AIDS.

Mr. Harper, in his wisdom sent the MP most qualified to be there. Namely Mr. Clement, the Health Minister. He was disrespected all the same just for being a Conservative. The AIDS Conference delegates should be ashamed. Their lack of class marginalized their endeavours.

You mention undocumented workers and imply that the Conservatives are bankrupt of ideas. We’ve discussed this before, you and I. I’ll ask you. What did the Liberals do in 13 years? I’d argue that nothing got done because it probably never even appeared on the radar.

You insult me by telling me that because I have a principled stand that in some cases may happen to parallel the US that I am somehow not independent in my thinking. That is rich coming from a Liberal. Six years ago a Liberal in good standing was against Gay Marriage. Now the party policy changed and you must be for it to be a Liberal in good standing. In short, Liberals are not allowed to disagree; to think for themselves or use their own principles to decide for themselves how they feel on an issue. And the NDP are even worse with party doctrine. Your party and the NDP are the parties for those who’d rather be sheep than put the effort into thinking for themselves.

1 comment:

Canadian Patriot said...

I thought this was well written. Good work.

Defend Canada