Saturday, November 11, 2006

For the Fallen

Every year when I go to the Cenotaph in Kitchener the MC or someone else reads the fourth stanza of Laurence Binyon's 'For the Fallen'.

And every year those words have the effect on me that I am sure Binyon wanted to convey.

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years contemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.

http://www.firstworldwar.com/poetsandprose/binyon.htm

Words cannot describe the gratitude I have for those who provided the peace and prosperity and freedoms I NEVER take for granted. What they provided allows me to worry about such relatively trivial things like the quality of education my children receive, how much tax I pay, and the state of the roads I drive on.

I will remember them.

1 comment:

JOY said...

What a fitting tribute!

Love the blog.

www.limavady2dubai.blogspot.com