Thursday, March 05, 2009

Canada Should Not Fight For Clemency For Canadians Abroad

I agree with the Conservative Government's action in regards to Ronald Smith. He is being punished in a democratic country and that's good enough for me.

http://www.nationalpost.com/news/story.html?id=1357626

I have never supported the notion of capital punishment as a mode of revenge or even deterrence. I have always supported the notion of capital punishment as a way of mitigating the (negative) impact of a particular human being’s existence on this Earth. So, obviously, I don’t even like the name ‘capital punishment’. Perhaps ‘capital mitigation’ is a better term.

Imagine the good that could be done with the money and resources used instead to keep people like Mr. Smith incarcerated until they die of natural causes.

No comments: